2 Steps to Improving How Your Body Functions

We want to feel good so that we can work hard, play hard, be active with our families. However, focusing on our body functioning well MUST come before relieving symptoms. Because when we function well, the rest of our active lifestyle will follow. 

Our bodies can be in two states: “fight or flight” or “rest and digest”. These are called sympathetic and parasympathetic states, respectively. 

When the body is under physical, chemical or mental stress, the body goes into the sympathetic state, also known as flexed posture. In turn, the spinal cord becomes stretched from the base of the skull to the sacrum area. If you stay in this stressed, “fight or flight” state for an extended time, it puts tension on the spinal cord and something has to give. Due to the body’s inability to adapt to the stress = tension on the spinal cord, bones shift out of alignment. This is called a SUBLUXATION.

Unfortunately, the vertebrae house the spinal column, the main highway of the nervous system. A subluxation affects the main nerves that take signals to every organ, tissue and cell of our body. 

We typically think of the nervous system as giving us feeling and pain. However, that is only about 20% of this vital system. The other 80% controls how the body functions.

A lot of the time, you won’t even feel a subluxation because only 20% of the nerves control pain. It is amazing to think that nerves can be compressed to about an 80% decrease in function before they send out a pain response.  

Your body is trying to adapt to take tension off the spinal cord to preserve your organs. Remember, 80% of our nerves are dealing with how our organs function. It’s therefore important to be checked for subluxations. 

It doesn’t take much for a subluxation to reduce your function. The mere weight of a dime, 2.2 grams, is enough to slow nerve conduction. 

What is Key to Improve Function

It’s important to not just understand or talk about chiropractic; you need to make appointments and be adjusted regularly. 

At Trinity Chiropractic, we also believe that doing postural corrective rehab at home is key. If you go straight from an adjustment back to bad posture at your laptop or phone, you won’t be able to hold your adjustment as long or see improvement in your posture. Learn more about the Pettibon Rehabilitation System here. 

What Improved Function Looks Like

At Trinity Chiropractic of Burleson, we can see and measure the return of function in various ways. First, a change in a patient’s posture. Second, improved range of motion. Third, a decrease in orthopedic tests, which should be negative. There can also be a restoration in nerve flow, marked by the return of sensation. For example, a patient may not have feeling on one side of their arm before chiropractic care, and will then experience renewed sensation when function improves.

After your initial care plan, we retake motion study X-rays. We can see on x-rays how the bones are moving  and compare this with your original x-rays, quantifying just how much function has returned. Here’s some great views of before and after x-rays from the Torque Release Technique website. 

Your Next Steps

Are you ready to improve your function, get vitality, and enjoy a full active life? Contact Dr. Dyess’ office to request an appointment for your start to principled chiropractic care.

Call Now (817) 295-1999